Federal and State Tax Filing for Tax Year 2020
The Federal Tax forms & Instruction, and State Tax forms are on a red cart that will be rolled outside during contactless holds hours:
Monday-Wednesday, 10 am-4:30 pm
Thursday, 1 pm-7:30pm
Friday-Saturday, 10 am-1 pm
What we have:
- 1040 Forms and Instructions–This year, there are two parts: a blue and white booklet with forms 1040 and 1040 SR, along with a few of the most commonly used schedules, and a newsprint booklet with the instructions.
- Massachusetts Form 1 Resident
No other forms or schedules will be sent. If you need any other forms or schedules, please send an email request to [email protected]. This year, we will print free of charge.
Please use the links below to locate other forms you may need.
Free File Online Options
If your 2020 adjusted gross income was $7,2000 or less, you may find one or more Free File Online options for you. Review each company’s offer to make sure you qualify for a free federal return. Some companies offer free state tax returns, other may charge a fee. Massachusetts taxes can be filed for free online at: www.Mass.gov/eFile
There is a Free File Online Lookup Tool to narrow the number of offers you may qualify for or you may browse all offers to see which work with your specific needs. These tools may be accessed at: https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/
If you prefer paper filing, here are some resources that may help you print or obtain the forms you need.
Forms and Assistance
- To get IRS forms or instructions mailed to you, contact the IRS at http://www.irs.gov/uac/Forms-and-Publications-by-U.S.-Mail or call 1-800-829-3676.
- IRS Forms and Publications (to download and print)
- IRS: Where to File Paper Tax Returns (Addresses)
- IRS: Filing and Payments: other helpful links, including electronic filing and Where’s My Return?
- IRS: Self-Employed
- IRS: Household Employees
- IRS: Get Free Tax Prep Help
- Where to get W-2 and 1099-Misc forms for your employees. These forms are not available online or through the library.
- Telephone assistance:
- 1-800-829-3676 – If you need to order forms, publications, or instructions.
- 1-800-829-1040 – If you have tax questions regarding your personal income taxes.
- 1-877-777-4778 – The Taxpayer Advocate: If you have tax questions that you’re unable to resolve.
- 1-800-829-4477 – A collection of prerecorded messages that cover a wide variety of tax topics.
- Massachusetts Forms, Instructions and Mailing Addresses
- Massachusetts: Individual and Families: other helpful links, including electronic filing and checking your return status
- Telephone assistance:
- Customer service: 617-887-MDOR or 800-392-6089 (toll free in Massachusetts) DOR’s customer service call center hours for tax help are 10 am – 1 pm and 1:30 pm – 4 pm, Monday through Friday.