NOTARY SERVICES GUIDELINES
The Goodnow Library will provide some Notary services as a courtesy. Residents seeking Notary services should call the Reference Desk at 978-440-5520. The library does not require appointments, but it is best to call ahead for availability. Drop-ins will also be accommodated wherever staffing is available.
The following guidelines will be followed when providing Notary services:
- Notary services are available during normal business hours.
- A valid, government-issued photo identification is required of any customer seeking Notary service.
- The document(s) CANNOT already have been signed nor dated.
- All signers must be present at the time of notarizing. (Individuals seeking Notary services may be accompanied by spouse/caregiver if needed).
- If your document requires a witness(s), they must accompany you.
- The Notary is stating they have witnessed the document being signed.
- The document must contain the appropriate Notarial Statement or Clause, or one will be stamped on the document by the Notary.
- Documents in any language other than English will not be notarized at this facility.
- Notary service is not available for certain documents, including: deeds, mortgages, wills, living wills, living trusts, codicils, depositions, court documents, health care proxy, or certified copies.
- Certain public documents cannot be copied and notarized. Examples of these are birth, marriage and death certificates.
- Massachusetts law requires that a Notary and the person seeking notarization be able to communicate directly with each other.
- In accordance with Massachusetts Notarial Law, Notaries will not provide service if the customer, document or circumstances of the request for Notary Service raise any issue of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt or uncertainty. In this event, the Notary may, at his/her sole discretion, decline to provide Notary Services.
Additional local locations providing Notary Services include: The UPS Store.