Children’s Summer Reading 2020
June 22nd – August 14th
Summer Reading is now ONLINE!
We invite you to imagine a new kind of Summer @ Goodnow
Due to COVID-19 and the need for social distancing, our Summer Reading Program has been re-imagined for Summer 2020. Registration and participation is now on Beanstack, our new online reading platform! Track your reading, earn badges and prizes, and read for a good cause this Summer @ Goodnow!
Here’s how it works:
- Register Online: Visit goodnowlibrary.beanstack.org and sign up for the Summer Reading Challenge! Already registered for our Goodnow Reads Spring Challenge? Login with the same account information to sign up for our Summer Challenge! Want to use your phone or tablet? Download the free Beanstack app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store to track your Summer Reading activity on-the-go.
- Track Reading, Earn Badges & Win Prizes: Track reading and earn virtual reading badges for minute milestones (15 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, etc). Participate in at-home activities to complete online activity badges. Log reading minutes at least once each week to be entered into weekly and grand drawings for some exciting prizes! Each week, three lucky winners could win a $5 eGift Card to Erikson’s Ice Cream; and at the end of Summer Reading, our grand prize winners could win a $100 Amazon gift card, a $50 Learning Express gift card, or a LEGO City Ice Cream Truck Building Set!
- Read for a Good Cause: For every registered reader, the Friends of the Goodnow Library will donate $1 to the Sudbury Community Food Pantry. We hope to reach 2000 readers! Register and help us help the Food Pantry this summer.
Pre-registration begins Monday, June 15th
Program begins Monday, June 22nd
Need help registering? Contact us at 978-440-5540 or email us at [email protected]
Optional Companion Packs
Summer Reading Companion Packs will be available for contactless pickup at the library the week of June 22nd. These packs will include the following optional components to use in conjunction with Beanstack online.
- Paper Reading Logs and Stickers: Paper Reading Logs can be used to track minutes of reading in a child-friendly way. Want to skip the trip to the library? Click HERE to print out your own Reading Log from home!
- Necklace Starter Kit: A new twist on our traditional bead reward system! Our Companion Packs will include a Necklace Starter Kit with a necklace, brag tag, and enough beads for 12.5 hours of reading! What if you read for more than 12.5 hours? Super Reader Kits are available with additional beads for kids who would like to continue building their necklaces!
Registration for these items will open each Friday afternoon to schedule pickups for the following week. To register for a Companion Pack or Super Reader Kit, and set up a contactless pickup time, click HERE.
Virtual and Take-Home Activities
This summer, instead of traditional in-person programming, the Goodnow Library will offer virtual and take-home activities to get children excited about reading!
Check out our Children’s Calendar for details about virtual programs on both Facebook and Zoom. We’ll have our weekly Music Makers and Storytimes, plus virtual Escape Rooms, virtual Family Trivia Nights and more!
Starting the week of June 29th, Imagine Your Story Take-Home Activity Kits will be available for contactless pickup. New kits will be available each week and will contain activities for kids to explore at home:
- Activity Kits (ages 4 & up): Kits will include materials and instructions to complete a variety of STEAM and craft activities. Each week kids will explore a different Fairy Tale through hands-on projects. For those who would like to create the activities at home, below are the links to printable pdf files for each Activity Kit:
- Jack & the Beanstalk Activity Kit files
- George & the Dragon Activity Kit Files
- Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs Activity Kit Files
- King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table Activity Kit Files
- The Three Little Pigs Activity Kit Files
- Goldilocks and the Three Bears Activity Kit Files
- Humpty Dumpty Activity Kit Files
- Craft Kits (ages 3 & under): Need a simple craft project for your toddler? There will be kits available for ages 18 months – 3 years.
Registration for these items will open each Friday at 9AM to schedule pickups for the following Monday & Tuesday. To register for an Activity or Craft Kit, and set up a contactless pickup time, click HERE.
The Goodnow Library has lots of great book suggestions to read or listen to this summer:
Recommendations for ebooks and audiobooks instantly available on Hoopla – no holds or waiting! (Available to Sudbury residents only; limited to 20 titles per month):
- New Audiobook titles on Hoopla
- Disney Storybooks on Hoopla
- Easy Reader titles on Hoopla
- New Graphic Novel titles on Hoopla
- Goodnow Children’s Staff Picks – Fiction
- Goodnow Children’s Staff Picks – Chapter Books
- Goodnow Children’s Staff Picks – Fairy Tales and Mixed-up Fairy Tales