Researching local history and genealogy is an exciting way to learn about the place we call home and who we call family.
The intent of the Goodnow Library’s Local History Collection is to preserve, collect, describe, exhibit, and make publicly accessible materials that document the history of Sudbury and its inhabitants.
The Local History Room is located on the second floor of the library. Please visit the reference desk for assistance.
The library’s historical collections are available to the general public for research involving local, genealogical and/or historical issues. Reference staff is available to assist users with questions.
For those who need assistance with in-depth research, please contact the reference staff to schedule an appointment by calling 978-440-5520 or emailing us at [email protected].
- Original Goodnow Library Collection (remaining volumes date from 1863-1900);
- Town documents: town meeting records and reports (1644 – ), tax records, valuation reports, List of Persons;
- Books, photographs and artifacts relevant to Sudbury history and genealogy,
- The Dyad: the Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School Yearbook (1957 – );
- Maps and atlases;
- Family and town histories;
- The Vertical File: News clippings, pamphlets, article reprints, and other materials relating to persons, places, organizations, events, and subjects relevant to Sudbury; and
- Local newspapers on microfilm and online.
- George Barton Collection
- Goodnow Family Collection
- Israel Loring Papers
- Gilbert, John Robert and Mary F. Parmenter Collection
- Edmund Rice Collection
- The Sudbury Archives
- An online, searchable database of approximately 15,000 town records dating from 1639 – 1850. Comprised of records from the Town Clerk’s Office, the Goodnow Library, Longfellow’s Wayside Inn, the Sudbury Historical Society, and the Wayland Historical Society.
- Sudbury Newspaper Archive
- Sudbury newspapers from 1915-2015. Individual issues can be searched, viewed, downloaded or printed.
- Alfred S. Hudson’s History of Sudbury
- Full text can be accessed online.
- Sudbury Historical Commission
- Sudbury Historical Society
- Wayside Inn
- Ancestry.com (In-library use only)
- Premium collection of worldwide genealogy records.
- HeritageQuest (In-library use, remote use for Sudbury/Goodnow Library cardholders only)
- Census data and documents for genealogy research.
Massachusetts History & Genealogy:
- American Antiquarian Society
- The Internet Archive
- Hathi Trust
- Historic New England
- Massachusetts Archives
- Massachusetts Historical Commission
- Massachusetts Historical Society
- MA Registry of Vital Records
- Middlesex Registry of Deeds (North)
- Middlesex Registry of Deeds (South)
- National Archives & Records Administration, Northeast Region (NARA)
- New England Historic Genealogical Society